INVERSION OF TRUTH
"The political Left, particularly in its extreme forms, has always been skillful in the use of language to further its ends. Recognizing that perception matters more than reality, proponents of socialism and communism use words in a particularly Orwellian way, imparting meanings to words directly opposite to what their etymologies would lead us to suspect." - Logan Albright
One of the most important facts about the philosophy of the Left (this website endeavors to teach) is that it is based in Postmodernism. As a consequence, the Left rejects logic and reason and instead embraces situational relativism and subjectivism. That is, they believe reality is consciously rendered by structures of the 'mind' dependent primarily on group identity. Their 'subjective' reality is, therefore, fueled by will and emotion and any 'objective' reality is rejected. A prime example of this occurred during the 2018 confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh. Just prior to the final vote, sexual misconduct allegations from an accuser about a purported event 40 years earlier were leveled. No evidence or proof was offered and Judge Kavanaugh vehemently denied the accusations. In the (Left) media this discordant narrative was highlighted by their phrase "his truth vs. her truth". This underscores how they believe reality is purely a construct of the mind. In fact, there is only one truth connected directly with one objective reality. Any deviation from this point of view destroys fair jurisprudence (assumption of innocence until proven guilty), but more broadly throws society into a chaotic, nihilistic decline.
Below we show that not only are most of the claims of the left false, but virtually everyone of them are cherry picked, out-of-context, exaggerated, and in many cases the truth is the exact opposite. Thus, a primary tactic of the left is to “invert the truth”. In particular, they use labels to "cloak" or hide their true beliefs or agenda by adopting terms that are opposite of the values/actions they support. This tactic is just one of many used in order to achieve power and control by any means necessary. Here are some examples of their 'inversion of truth':
- The most blatant inversion of the truth concerning the Left is that they adopt titular labels that denote actions/values the opposite of what they actually are. For example, they call themselves the “Liberals”. This term is a direct reference to freedom or liberty and/or absence of force and coercion. Yet, their actions oppose this notion of "freedom" as they regularly pass excessive regulations, high taxes and support endless rules that coercively dictate to law-abiding individuals how they should behave. Their motivation is Power & Control so they can create their utopian society. Example are endless. Here are some: soda taxes, to reduce/eliminate soda consumption; gasoline taxes, to reduce/eliminate driving (with the hope it would significantly reduce the risk of global warming, which it would not); business licensing, purported to "protect" the consumer, but all it does is serve as a barrier to entry for people who are trying to make a living; minimum wage laws purportedly to force employers to pay "living wage" to their employees, but all this does is force the employers to lay off workers, raise consumer prices and prevent many teenagers and young adults from gaining experience in the workforce (since they will not be hired unless they are more productive than their hourly wage); housing regulations which serve only to expand the government payroll and make housing more expensive; the list goes on as this is the tip of a very large bureaucratic iceberg. As Nobel-Prize winner and Economist Milton Friedman once said, “the only thing the Liberals are liberal about is how they spend other peoples money.” In other words today’s so-called Liberals are “Illiberal”. In fact it is the Right (Republicans/Conservatives/Libertarians/Constitutionalists/Objectivists) that support more classical liberal policies such as limited-government, free markets, lower taxes, respect for the individual (classic liberalism flourished in the US during the 1800’s; classic liberals fled to the Right when “progressive liberals” took over the Left in the late 1800’s/early 1900’). Thus, it is those on the Right that can more accurately called (classic) liberals.
- The other term they call themselves is “Progressive“. However, these “so-called” Progressives adopt identity politics and judge people based not on their individual character, but on what “group” they belong to. This is a blatant form of prejudice. They are catapulting us backwards into an era of bigotry and racism with victimhood culture. Therefore, they should properly be called the “Regressives”.
- Finally, the most egregious and offensive label the extreme left uses is “Antifa” Which is short for “antifascist”. This is breathtakingly false label designed purposely to confuse and obfuscate. Their signature tactics are to cover their faces with masks, so they cannot be identified, and commit looting, personal assaults, general violence and shut down free speech for anyone they disagree with. They are violent nihilists. They are the fascists.
Claim: Wealth is stolen & cannot be created.
Reality: To put it simply, the Left believe the economy is a "zero-sum game". They somehow believe that if someone has more wealth than another, then some injustice must have been perpetrated against a "victim" group. The Left does not understand basic economic facts or how the world works; alternatively, they choose to reject reality. Both explanations turn out to be true.
In fact, wealth is created through the “trader principle” in which two parties exchange goods or services that the other party desires. These trades are “value for value”. The key is that each person desires the object they are trading for more than the item they are trading. Once completed, the trade makes the life of each trader better and more enriched than before. Money was invented as a medium of exchange to make the trade simple and efficient. The money has a value associated with it, so it allows one of the traders to use it as the “trade item”. A trader can create wealth and become rich by creating a trade item that many people want. This item may be the invention of a product or service. Crucially, it is the profit motive that incentivizes individuals to create a product or service that someone else will want. Only in a system of free market capitalism do these conditions exist in their most efficient form. Next, the trader must sell the item for more than what it cost to make it. A customer only buys the item if the money they are spending is worth less to them than the item or service they are trading for. Thus, the customer has gained something that exceeds the value of the money they gave up in the trade. When summed up over thousands or millions of trades, the inventor (or provider of the product or service) becomes rich even if they made just a little money on each trade (for example, Steve Jobs selling millions of iPhones). However they have NOT stolen wealth from their customers because the trade was voluntary and most importantly what the customer received in return, has MORE value to them than the money they spent; thus, wealth has been created by the inventor/entrepreneur and the subsequent trades. When the Left complains about wealth inequality, they ignore this fact. Ultimately, the genesis of the wealth created in this example was from the innovation, time, material and other resources expended by the inventor of the device (or provider of the service) in the beginning. Such wealth generation exists only in capitalism with its incentive structure.
In fact, it is the system of economic organization the Left supports (Socialism) that most closely resembles a "zero sum game". Socialism, with it's suppression of free-market trade, relies on government coerced wealth redistribution, control and regulation of business, high taxes and prohibition of private property (in its form as communism) which discourages innovation, investment and risk-taking. Wealth can no longer be made. The wealth that was created by the pre-existing free-market system is gradually eroded and dissipated. Eventually, poverty overcomes the nation as has been demonstrated every time socialism has been tried. However, the government bureaucrats and central planners ensure there is plenty of money for themselves.
Claim: We, on the Left, take the "high road" and are the civil ones.
Reality: This claim is perhaps the most it outrageous of all. Again, the truth is the opposite. The left by nature collectivizes into activist mobs that bludgeon and attack those who do not agree with their ideas (those on the right, that the left attack, are by nature individualists not interested in forming mobs). The actions of some on the Left resulted in violence and vandalism after the election of 2016 and threats made against the president-elect and his supporters. From literally bludgeoning individuals in the head with bike locks, to harassing and threatening lawmakers on the right and their families, the left has stayed true to the extreme violence of their forebear’s in the 20th century which led to the deaths of over 100 million people (in Statist authoritarian regimes such as Nazi Germany, Soviet Union, Mao’s China, Pol Pot’s Cambodia etc).
Eric Holder’s ‘kick them (the Republicans) when they go low’ statement and Hillary’s ‘we (the Democrats) can’t be civil now’ statement underscore the the truth that the left does not take “the high road” but reveals their ugly “low road” tactics. To underscore this, Barack Obama in 2008 urged his followers to get in the faces of Republicans and confront them. Maxine Waters urged democrats to harass Republicans in public. Leftist mobs regularly target and harass Republicans and conservatives. During a planed parade through Portland, the far-left group Antifa threatened to physically attack a Republican Float and those on it. City officials buckled to the terrorist threats and canceled the parade.
Here is a list of the Left’s “high road” tactics during the 2018 election cycle. Obviously, these are outlier cases but the media pays little or no attention to them as it would hurt their narrative.
- October 2018: Ricin envelopes were not just sent to James Mattis, but also to President Trump, along with Senator Ted Cruz and Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson. The FBI arrested a suspect in Utah, William Clyde Allen, believed to have sent all the packages in a coordinated effort. Allen confessed to sending all four letters, but we also learned that—similar to the inoperable bombs allegedly sent by Cesar Sayoc, Jr.—none seemed to contain actual Ricin, but rather castor seed from which Ricin is made.
- October 2018: In Las Vegas, a Democratic activist working for American Bridge 21st Century named Wilfred Michael Stark assaulted Kristin Davidson, campaign manager for Nevada's Republican gubernatorial candidate, Adam Laxalt. Stark had previously been arrested for similar activity at a GOP rally in Virginia.
- October 2018: In Minnesota, Republican state-representative Sarah Anderson was chased and punched by a man ripping up GOP campaign signs, and two days earlier, Republican candidate Shane Mekeland suffered a concussion after being punched in the back of the head while having dinner at a local restaurant.
- October 2018: The Republican Party Headquarters in Manhattan, New York was vandalized with spray-paint, smashed windows, and a threatening note that read: "Our attack is merely a beginning. We are not passive, we are not civil, and we will not apologize."
- October 2018: Jackson Cosko, an intern working for Democratic Senator Sheila Jackson Lee was charged by the United States Capitol Police with "doxxing" Republican Senators Mike Lee, Orrin Hatch, and Lindsey Graham. While doxxing itself isn't violence, it has frequently led to serious harassment and violence as people have access to personal information such as the home addresses, phone numbers, and email address of the victims.
- October 2018: Florida man, Jame Royal Patrick, Jr., was arrested for making death threats to people who supported Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court.
- October 2018: Shots were fired at the Republican party campaign office in Daytona Florida, breaking the windows. Fortunately, no one was in the office.
- October 2018: A hairdresser Jordan Hunt starts an argument with a female pro-life demonstrator in Ontario, and after a few minutes of conversation roundhouse-kicks her in the face on camera.
- September 2018: GOP campaign offices in Laramie, Wyoming, were set on fire by arsonists. The same thing happened in Hillsborough, North Carolina, back in 2016, so this is nothing especially new.
- September 2018: In San Francisco, a man named Farzad Fazeli attempted to stab Republican campaign worker Rudy Peters with a switchblade while he was working at an election booth at a Castro Valley town festival.
- July 2018: Martin Astrof was arrested for threatening to kill GOP campaign staffers and President Trump.
- July 2018: Someone vandalized the Lincoln, Nebraska (my hometown) GOP headquarters by smashing its windows with a brick and spray-painting "ABOLISH ICE" on the sidewalk.
- August 2017: Missouri lawmaker, Maria Chappelle-Nadal, said on social media that she hoped President Trump would be assassinated. She later was formally censured by the Missouri State Senate.
Democratic incoming Congressman Dan Sherman of California in January 2019 stated he planned to introduce articles of impeachment of Donald Trump on Thursday January 3, 2019. This after Democrats claimed they would take the “high road” and avoid such wasteful and divisive behavior during the mid term elections. Another incoming Democratic Congress woman, Rashida Tlaib,(from Michigan’s 13th district) stated “were going to go in there and impeach the mother f**cker!” to widespread applause from fellow democrats. It is fair to speculate that no Republican would ever be able to get away with making a similar statement about a Democrat president.
Claim: implementation of net neutrality rules keep the Internet fair and free.
Reality: The strangling regulatory burden imposed by central planners on the Internet, treating it as a public utility, was a brutal blow to both Internet freedom and fairness. It stifled innovation and creativity and drastically reduced investment in the Internet-based technologies. It destroyed consumer choice and prevented companies from making decisions that benefited both of them and consumers. (click to read)
Claim: Those on the Right are prejudiced/racists/homophobes/xenophobes/mysogenists etc.
Reality: It is the exactly the opposite. The Left judges people based on their group identity (i.e. , race, gender, sexual preference, wealth status etc.) People who belong to groups that are perceived as being “oppressed” are automatically seen in positive light & any transgressions are forgiven as being understandable in light of what their group has suffered at the hands of oppressor groups (specifically white males). Any individual who happens to be a white male is accused of having “white privilege ”, perceived as being evil or not relevant and ignored. Since they can never win their arguments with facts, history or reason, the Left resort to hateful spews of epithets, pejoratives and name-calling.
Here is a partial list of racist behavior from the Left:
- They support treating people differently based purely on their skin color and therefore support race-based quotas rather than merit-based qualifications for jobs, contracts, college admissions etc. (“Affirmative action“ quotas)
- They adopt a hierarchical scheme called “intersectionality” which assigns status to an individual based on the various “victimhood features” they possess (e.g., African American, Hispanic, Gay, Transexual, Female, immigrant etc.). The more “victim features” someone has, the higher they rank in importance and respect. At the bottom of their scheme are white males who they see as having “white priviledge” and are, therefore, to be shunned and repudiated.
- They believe in race based retribution. For example, many on the Left support slavery reparations which would require White Americans to pay Black Americans retribution money for slavery that existed in America over 150 years ago even if their ancestors weren’t slave-owners.
- Black American conservatives are shunned and called “Uncle Toms” because they refuse to adopt the label of a “victim“ and see themselves as capable and independent individuals separate from any group identity. The problem for the Left is that they refused to buy in to the racial oppression narrative thus threatening their political support base. (more)
- Organizers of the Women’s March in Humboldt County, California canceled a local Jan. 19 2019 event because the marchers are "overwhelmingly white".
Claim: Capitalists are stealing the labor of individuals in the working class.
Reality: Quite the opposite. Capitalism is built upon property rights. This means that you can own land and other goods and materials, but it also means you own your body, mind, AND the product of your labor. Therefore, you can sell your labor to the highest bidder in a purely voluntary exchange. In socialism/communism property rights do not exist; thus you have no right to sell your labor for what it is worth. The means of production are controlled or owned by the state and with property rights denied, you are effectively coerced by the state to work at a fixed salary and likely in a field not of your choosing. Clearly, Socialism steals the labor of the workers by denying them the price of labor they would otherwise get in a free market economy
Claim: Universal Health Care is “single payer”.
Reality: Again, the term used to entice the population into embracing universal health care has a meaning that is exactly opposite. “Single payer” is really just “universal theft” from multitudes (of productive working people) to fund someone else’s health care. With a huge bureaucratic apparatus and endless regulations, medical innovations are stifled, long waiting lines for care develop as bungling government bureaucrats attempt to run the healthcare system and overall quality of care plummets; ultimately, illnesses and deaths increase over what would have occurred in a free-market based health care system. A free market-based health care system incentivizes innovation and healthy competition resulting much better care at lower prices. Positive health outcomes would sky-rocket compared to that of Universal Health Care. Insurance policies prices would plummet. Without the constraint of burdensome regulations, insurance companies would be able to offer a plethora of attractive products including some that could address pre-existing conditions. The vast majority of people would be able to afford insurance and even the poorest and those with pre-existing conditions would have options available to them that would satisfy their needs.
Claim: On November 4, 2017 Democrat Nancy Pelosi accused Republicans of trying to ram through tax reform through the stealth of night with no bipartisan input.
Reality: In fact, Republicans were very open about the tax reform bill the Democrats hoped to shut down. On the contrary, "ramming through" a bill is precisely what Democrats had done with the Affordable Health Care Act of 2009. Republicans, in some situations, were locked out of discussions. Pelosi herself said : “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.” Apologists try to argue that this statement is made out of context. Partisan observers can paint any picture they want about intent and context, but her words should be assessed objectively. You can read the transcript below and judge for yourself. At best, she may have not used the proper wording to convey her intent, but we must hold all politicians accountable to their words. The media applies this standard to politicians with an “R” by their name why not to those with “D” when they make a gaffe?
As an aside, it should be pointed out that the Republican Tax Reform of 2017 freed up the economy and encouraged individuals and business to invest & flourish; the result has been one of the most poignant and robust blossoming of the economy & prosperity since the Reagan era.
In addition, the Affordable-Care Act (ACA or Obama-Care) health reform bill of 2009 led by the Democrats has been an unmitigated disaster. Not only were the claims: the ACA would "lower premiums by up to $2,500 for a typical family per year", and "you can keep your doctor", false but the exact opposite occurred: Premiums went up in many cases by more than $2500 , and many lost their doctors and were forced to go to lower-quality alternatives. MIT economist and Jonathan Gruber , an architect of Obama -care, famously told an audience in 2014 that “lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, you know, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical to getting the thing to pass.”
Claim: We, the Democrats, care about the middle class.
Reality: The results of the 8 years of weak growth (under Obama & his policies) butts up against this false claim.
“And here is the great paradox of the Barack Obama economy. The Federal Reserve’s bond purchases and near-zero interest rates for eight years drove up asset values and let corporations borrow cheaply while the Administration’s punishing regulations bred business uncertainty that depressed investment in human and physical capital. Those with financial assets prospered more than middle-class wage earners. The Obama Democrats talked constantly about inequality rather than growth, and the result was less growth and more inequality.”
It is, contrary to the Left’s narrative, the Republican-led economy starting in 2017 that has seen some of the strongest economic & job growth in years. The middle class has made a robust comeback and employment rates are at all-time highs; especially benefitting minorities. Without the stranglehold that the Democrats impose on the economy with their heavy regulations & taxes, a breath of freedom has helped the economy flourish.
Claim: The far-left terrorist group “Antifa” claims they are the anti-fascist.
Reality: Nothing could be further from the truth and in fact the exact opposite is true. The statist, authoritarian fascists are all leftists and always have been (by definition). In the 1930s in Germany they shut down free-speech and vandalized businesses of Jewish owners. They called themselves the “national socialists”. In fascist states, the individual is beholden to the state. This is what the Left is all about: sacrificing individual rights and freedoms to the State through taxes, regulations, rules, dictates, fiats etc. Antifa, which ironically stands for anti-fascist, are the fascists. They go to campuses and even parades intimidating opponents, shutting down speech they disagree with, and threaten (and often carry out) violent assaults on individuals they perceive as their enemies. They hide their identity with masks (so they can blend back into society & not be caught), carry a variety of weapons and assault devices. In addition, they cause enormous cost & loss through vandalism to private & public property, just as their fascist forebears did nearly 100 years ago.
On June 29, 2019 they brutally attacked and beat a conservative journalist causing him to be hospitalized with a brain hemorrhage
Claim: The Obama Administration was “scandal free”.
Reality: The Obama Administration was perhaps the most corrupt of all time. Here are some of the top scandals & the list grows. See https://lists.grabien.com/list-complete-guide-scandals-obama-administration.
Here are several of the top scandals:
- Obama weaponized the IRS to attack grass-roots conservative groups to prevent them from jeopardizing his re-election in 2012.
-Obama weaponized the FBI by authorizing them to spy on the Trump campaign. The Democrat National Committee along with the Hillary campaign conspired to frame Trump with the Steele dossier and to also frame him with Russian collusion should he win the election.
-Obama covered up the Benghazi tragedy by claiming it was nothing more than an angry reaction to a video depicting Muslims in an unfavorable light.
-Obama paid ransom (American tax payer’s money) to Iran for the release of some American hostages, putting other Americans at risk, and tried to cover it up (& deny it).
-Obama knowingly lied and misled Americans claiming Obamacare would save the average household $2500/year. In fact people lost money due to rising premiums and many lost their insurance as well (both direct consequence of the law).
-Obama stated "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it." This false claim was rated by Politifact in 2013 as "The Lie of the Year".
…..the list goes on and on…
(More to come!)